We are an independent news service for inquisitive, attentive readers. We publish stuff that matters to progressive people and socially-responsible businesses. We separate the important news from the noise. We go deeper.
News in support of successful living is our guiding core value: business & economy, health & wellness, education, the arts, politics, sustainability & social trends.
- We publish news daily online on this website by region, date and topic. We also publish a weekly newspaper format (print and PDF online). Articles are further posted on Facebook, and in short bits on Twitter.
- Digital subscribers receive either the premium-edition PDF each week, or as a sponsor can receive a direct link to the online PDF version.
- The PDF version of the weekly West Shore Voice News is posted online, where about 64,000 page visits per week are achieved. Each week, readers can find the watermarked-PDF version posted online as a courtesy edition via Twitter and Facebook.
- You’ll find the coffee shop print edition around Sooke, Langford and Colwood in coffee shops, business lobbies, rec centres and libraries. Also available in either colour or grayscale by direct delivery or postal mail to paying subscribers.
Content scope covers regional news (Langford, Colwood, Sooke, Metchosin, Esquimalt, East Sooke, Otter Point/Shirley and the Juan de Fuca area) as well as covering the Capital Regional District / Greater Victoria. We cover BC, national and global news where we have a unique contribution to make, or where there is local/regional impact, or where our readers would expect a synopsis.
In addition to posting mainstream news our value-added offering is to take a thoughtful and progressive stance on the news of the day, through features and editorials.
Here’s what Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has to say about journalism and journalists: “Journalists start conversations, shine light on stories that would otherwise not be told, and give Canadians the facts they need to engage in public debate and shape events around them. A free and open press is crucial to an informed and engaged citizenry, which is at the heart of a healthy democracy.” ~ Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, on World Press Freedom Day May 3, 2017
Contributions welcome! Send to: email@example.com or text to 250-217-5821:
- Competently-written articles, worthwhile insights and publishable photos.
- Op-ed contributions from government, recognized community leaders, and major economic players.
- Letters and testimonials.
The weekly newspaper West Shore Voice News (formerly Sooke Voice News) has been published weekly since January 2011. Our base of operation has been Sooke up to summer 2017, with our relocation to Langford, BC in August 2017. All contact info remains the same, including the PO Box for postal mailing [see CONTACT page for details].
- ISSUES of NOTE: Issue #339 (July 21, 2017) features the swearing-in of BC Premier John Horgan. Issue #341 (August 4, 2017) features a visit by the federal Infrastructure & Communities Minister to Langford. Become a subscriber!
Founder, publisher and editor-in-chief of West Shore Voice News is Mary P Brooke, B.Sc., Cert PR. | Publishing Support Specialist: Jennifer Brooke | Server Tech: Les Oberg.
Freelance writers and photographers may contact us for career-building opportunities.
Memberships & Notes:
- West Shore Voice News is a member of the West Shore Chamber of Commerce
- Mary Brooke is a former founding director of the Professional Editors Association of Vancouver Island (PEAVI)
- Mary Brooke was the curriculum writer and instructor of the Writing for Business & Journalism Program at the Western Academy of Photography, Victoria.
- West Shore Voice News has been a sponsor of the Sooke Fine Arts Show (2015, 2016, 2017)