We are an independent news service for inquisitive, attentive readers. We publish stuff that matters to progressive people and socially-responsible businesses. We separate the important news from the noise. We go deeper.
News in support of successful living is our guiding core value: business & economy, health & wellness, education, the arts, politics, sustainability & social trends.
- We publish news daily online on this website by region, date and topic. We also publish a weekly newspaper format (print and PDF online). Articles are further posted on Facebook, and in short bits on Twitter.
- Digital subscribers receive either the premium-edition PDF each week, or as a sponsor can receive a direct link to the online PDF version.
- The PDF version of the weekly West Shore Voice News is posted online, where about 64,000 page visits per week are achieved. Each week, readers can find the watermarked-PDF version posted online as a courtesy edition via Twitter and Facebook.
- You’ll find the coffee shop print edition around Sooke, Langford and Colwood in coffee shops, business lobbies, rec centres and libraries. Also available in either colour or grayscale by direct delivery or postal mail to paying subscribers.
Content scope covers regional news (Langford, Colwood, Sooke, Metchosin, Esquimalt, East Sooke, Otter Point/Shirley and the Juan de Fuca area) as well as covering the Capital Regional District / Greater Victoria. We cover BC, national and global news where we have a unique contribution to make, or where there is local/regional impact, or where our readers would expect a synopsis.
In addition to posting mainstream news our value-added offering is to take a thoughtful and progressive stance on the news of the day, through features and editorials.
“Journalists start conversations, shine light on stories that would otherwise not be told, and give Canadians the facts they need to engage in public debate and shape events around them. A free and open press is crucial to an informed and engaged citizenry, which is at the heart of a healthy democracy.” ~ Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, on World Press Freedom Day May 3, 2017
Contributions are welcome! Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org or text to 250-217-5821:
- Competently-written articles, worthwhile insights and publishable photos.
- Op-ed contributions from government, recognized community leaders, and major economic players.
- Letters and testimonials.
The weekly newspaper West Shore Voice News (formerly Sooke Voice News) has been published weekly since January 2011.
- Issue #336 (June 30, 2017) not only celebrated Canada’s 150th Birthday but the front page was devoted to John Horgan set to become Premier of BC. Become a subscriber!
Founder, publisher and editor-in-chief of West Shore Voice News is Mary P Brooke, B.Sc., Cert PR. | Publishing Support Specialist: Jennifer Brooke | Server Tech: Les Oberg.
Freelance writers and photographers may contact us for career-building opportunities.
Memberships: West Shore Voice News belongs to these organizations:
- West Shore Chamber of Commerce